Some general guidelines are as follows:
- Can I post items for sale from a family member or friend (e.g., a car, sofa, etc.)? Yes, as long as it is a personal item and not one purchased for the purpose of reselling for a profit.
- Can I post services of a friend or relative such as a hair salon, auto repair service or a restaurant? No. OfficeAccord should not be used as a tool to solicit work for businesses.
- Do the guidelines allow me to sell homemade products (e.g., bird houses, candies, jewelry, etc.) on OfficeAccord, or homemade products made by a relative or friend? Yes, as long as they are made as a hobby as opposed to a business and were not bought from someone else for the purpose of reselling on OfficeAccord for a profit.
- Can I post information about non-profit/charitable (e.g., school, church, etc.) activities? Yes. The exception to the rule against commercial solicitations is that employees are allowed to post notices announcing charitable events (including fundraising activity) such as a Christmas play or concert. No solicitations should be made for non-charitable organizations, political parties, or political candidates.
- Can I post information to rent my condo, mobile home, townhouse, single family house, etc.? Yes, as long as it is not managed under a formal form of business entity such as an LLC, S Corporation, etc. In that circumstance, you would be soliciting for a business which is prohibited in accordance to our guidelines.
- Can OfficeAccord be used to ask for a referral for a service like a plumber or a real estate agency? Yes, although responses to referral requests should not be posted on OfficeAccord. Our intent is to allow employees to benefit from the good experiences that other employees have had with a service provider. OfficeAccord should not be used as a tool to solicit work for businesses. If a referral is provided, it should be responded to via e-mail or telephone call, not through OfficeAccord.
- My neighbor’s dog just had puppies. Can I post information about the sale of those puppies? Yes, unless your neighbor is a professional dog breeder.
- Can I post tickets for an event (i.e., Symphony, football tickets, etc.) on OfficeAccord? It depends. If you purchased tickets that you need to sell because you will not be able to attend the event, then the answer is yes. You may sell those tickets only at face value or less than face value. If you are promoting events or selling tickets and you receive any kind of payment from an event sponsor, you may not post that information on OfficeAccord. Such back-end marketing is considered commercial solicitation and is not allowed.
- Are there any restrictions on when I use OfficeAccord? Use of OfficeAccord should not interfere with your work activities. It is each individual’s responsibility not to abuse this privilege.